Wednesday 30 April 2014

Miniature Garden

Our old metal wheelbarrow has given up the ghost. With a totally flat tyre, and the top rusted through and coming away easily from the bottom, it was time to dispose of it.
Being me though, I thought that it would make a great novelty container for a miniature garden, or just filled with flowers or even carrots or something. ( get another year out of it and save a trip to the tip!)
We have a fair amount of top soil left over from what I ordered for the raised beds, so I got the kids all working together to fill the wheelbarrow and gave them some ideas of a cave, a pond, a mountain etc and told them they could use almost anything in the garden to build a fantasy land.
Their excitement at being allowed to do something like this was fantastic and as you can see they created a wonderful garden!
They made a cave out of a flowerpot they found and a pond out of a margarine tub. They used some of the shells they had collected on trips to the seaside and stones too. They even dug up some weeds out of the flowerbed to put into their garden. As I was preparing supper at the time of construction I had several carrot tops which I said would grow and have lovely leafy plumage. They found some of their dinosaur toys and little people and put them in there too.
This project took them a good couple of hours and they were happily working together thoughout. They did come in covered in mud though!
The Princess wants to build another garden, so I will have to dig around in the shed and see what pots I can find, anything that keeps them occupied in the garden is worthwhile in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment