Tuesday 25 March 2014

It's my birthday...

Well, I decided to attempt to make my old favourite hungarian six slice cake for my birthday this year....I have never made it but I am inspired by the memories of chocolate yumminess that my mum always sighed but produced for my birthdays.
I dreaded starting....6 very thin (ie 1mm thick) layers of pastry not to be broken!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!EEEEKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is a pic of the layers all cooked! ....I hope they don;t break up but if they do they will be glued together with yummy gooey chocolate sauce!


Ok...so the chocolate sauce was fun to make.....huge amount of sugar to be caramelised!!!! then add milk to it!!! This is where it got fun...I don't have a pic but as soon as I added the milk it frothed up and almost out of the saucepan....the melted sugar went solid and stuck to the saucepan...but I kept stirring and eventually it turned out ok! All the layers were put on top of each other ( the broken ones hidden in the middle!) and sandwiched with chocolate....
ok...icing.......

It took a while to make the icing ....and it still has not set properly....apparently I did not whisk for long enough......maybe I should invest in an electric mixer instead of using my hand one. The icing does not contain icing sugar, but caster sugar, egg white and a couple of spoons of water! Still it is yummy!!! Will mix for longer next time I try this one....my dad has asked me to make for him one time, and my neighbour too!

No comments:

Post a Comment