Friday 27 June 2014

Castle cake for a boy

About time I posted this from my eldest sons birthday 2 weeks ago now! This was my first attempt at a castle cake and to be honest I am not entirely thrilled with how it turned out, but you live and learn! First I baked some Maderia sponges up. Maderia sponge is so easy to cut without it crumbling all over the joint.


I put the two sponges on top of one another with some of my home-made plum jam from last year! Yummy! Then I used cheap chocolate swiss rolls for the turrets at the corners. I thought that not all the kids would probably like the maderia but most like chocolate! The ready to roll icing was coloured with some of my black food colouring to turn it a grey colour. The icing was put on again it was stuck with my plum jam. You can see a bit poking out in the corner on the picture below.


Please excuse the state of the work surface....I always make such a mess when baking! I Put ice-cream cones on the top of the turrets and covered them in chocolate icing. Chocolate slabs were used on top of the castle.


then I had some writing icing that I used to draw and colour the windows in.


I made my own flags with a cocktail stick and paper and put the candles on the front. Birthday boy loved it...thank goodness.


The princess has decided that she now wants a princess castle for her birthday in a couple of weeks time. Joy. I get to do it again! 

No comments:

Post a Comment