Friday 6 June 2014

update on the veggie patch

I have not posted for ages about the little mini veggie patch that I started up this year. One of the raised beds is flowers and the other veg. Husband says they should be bigger to have more veg....he did not even want them to begin with!
They seem to have grown more overnight too! The far bed is the flower one with sweet peas to grow up the canes and some random flower seeds that I sprinkled in the mix! There is also a currant bush that I got from the 99p store in town....well I originally got 2 but one seems to be dead!...I suppose I got lucky with the other one. Not sure if its red or black currants though....will have to wait and see. 
In the front bed are runner beans, which the kids all love, as they still believe that they help them to run faster if they eat them all up! Also some Chives...yummy...and lovely flower heads too...and we just planted some carrots too.  I think I agree with hubby and will be building another one next year too. 
I wanted to keep it small and simple for this year though and so put flowers in one so next year beans can go in there....crop rotation and all that.So far we have had NO SLUGS to visit....and waiting to see if the Chives keep the black fly away from the runner beans too.

No comments:

Post a Comment